I am a bit ashamed to say that I do not take very good care of my feet. Especially during the winter time when I don't wear sandals and running brings upon very gross looking calluses and very rough heels. Anyway, about 8 weeks ago I wore my first pair of sandals in public. Suddenly I realized how disgusting my feet looked. So I decided it was time for a pedicure. I love getting pedicures and I don't get them often enough. When I decide to get a pedicures I am always so embarrassed by my feet that I pre-pedicure them by basically giving myself a pedicure. I guess I am trying to fool the person giving the pedicure that I am just in for my monthly appointment :)
As I was "pre-pedicuring" my feet I made a sad discovery. A common occurrence among many long distance runners is the loss of toe nails. I have been proud to say in my 10 years as a runner, I had never lost a single toe nail, until...NOW!!! I noticed on my big toe the nail was half way off! My first thought was "I can't go get a pedicure now" my second thought was "I am going to have the ugliest toe for the whole summer." Since my discovery I have been very protective of my big toe trying to make the nail last as long as possible but I am afraid now it is only hanging on by thread. What do I do once it's gone? Should I just paint my skin? Can you get fake toe nails? Should I just have an ugly toe?...I know, I know, this is such a dilemma.
8 years ago

12 comments:
I've lost many a toenail. Yes, you paint your skin. Did you run the Nestle 5k today in the rain? I looked for you! :)
Sharon, I'd like to personally give you a warm welcome to: MY CLUB!! And all the emotions you're experiencing right now...don't worry, I know abou them! First thing to keep in mind, The Toe Nail will grow. I had a muetie for the longest time, but it finally grew out enough that I'm not embarrased, but the other thing to keep in mind is that EVERYONE has ugly toes/toenails, so just paint your skin and continue on with life, And if you really want, yes, they can put some acrylic on the part of the toe nail that's left, but its not terribly recommended since it could cause other more serious problems. ANYWAY..sorry for the LONG comment, but I just wanted you to know, that that, indeed is the story of my life. Running...gotta love it. Except for I might loose my hip now. I went running this morning and its been hurting like a mother!!
OK, sorry..I'm out! GOOD LUCK!
I lost a toenail once...but not to running. All I remember is that I was at 7-peaks and I looked down when I was coming out of the wave pool and it was gone...
It did grow back, how long it took I don't know, but I just didn't paint my toenails and it was much less noticable (it was my 2nd toe).
I also know that you can get fake nails for your toes too...some of the girls at work use to get them...for their big toe only, so that could be an option, although you'd probably just go through them really quickly with all your running.
Sorry to anyone who ran into my lost toenail in the wave pool...I'm sure that was gross.
That is the ugliest picture you have ever posted. Keep in mind you also have a picture of Homer Simpson on your blog. Thanks for making me almost vomit.
That said...I too, have lost a toe nail. Mine didn't rip off though, it slid right out of the toe nail bed...painlessly, I should note. And yes, I painted the skin...hot pink. And yes, it did grow back...although I got a little worried bc it took a really long time. And I didn't take a picture of mine.
Sharon, you are hilarious! I love it! My family, I swear, none of them have all their toe nails. They are all major athletes and have toe nails falling off constantly. I remember right before my sister's wedding last year, she had two of her toe nails fall off and we went to go get pedicures and the lady was so wonderful and painted on some toes for her! Also, I used to do pedicures myself and I think the one thing that I thought was worse than painting on toes for some people, was I had a lady that had a SIXTH toe on one of her foots! I'm sorry if that offends anyone, but boy, that brought me to not doing pedicures anymore and only doing HAIR!! HA HA But Good Luck with that...I'm sure they see worse feet than yours!!
UGLY!
I just painted my skin when I lost a toe nail, but it was my 2nd toe nail...not the BIG toe. Feet are just ugly to begin with so I say you show off your missing toe proudly....it proves that you have been running. Before you may have been all talk....now you have the proof.
Wow! I guess life DOES go on after lost toe nails. However, you can be sure I will posting about the BIG DAY when it comes...with pictures!!
Well, that is gross. I hope to never lose a toenail, but if I do I know who to come to for support!
Sharon won the Grossest Blog Award!!!
Congrats!!!
NASTY! See there are consequences for all that running
Ouch that would hurt, I've heard that happens to a lot of runners.
Hey are you coming to our 10 year reunion? I hope so, it would be so good to see you.
Post a Comment